Friday, December 21, 2012

friday {#26acts}

 Hi.
I have been dreaming of this ham that Kevin is going to smoke for Christmas.
Is that weird?
I realize it already says smoked on the ham, but apparently this is what you buy. Plus, you can hardly find an uncooked ham anywhere. Kevin researched it and found out what to do, and this is going on our smoker for the next 2 days. And a brisket. He makes the best brisket. I can't wait.
I've been dipping a lot of pretzels for the weekend.
When I ran across what journalist Ann Curry said the other day, about the tragedy last week, my mind wouldn't stop. 
She proposed this:

#26acts
Imagine if everyone could commit to doing one act of kindness for each precious life lost. An act of kindness big or small. Are you in?

 The Facebook link is here. I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but now it's all over Instagram as well, #26acts. That is where I started seeing more and more about it, and getting some ideas. If you search on one of these sites, you will see so many beautiful ideas, from both the givers and the recipients. It's enough to make you cry. People are blessing complete strangers. It's amazing how many are participating, tens of thousands and more. So, this is what I decided to do. 

I should be more thankful to our postman, and I forget to do this each Christmas.


 I was in line to get a fountain drink at McDonald's, and I bought a $5 gift card, wrote this note, and asked the cashier to give both to the car behind me. I saw the lady in the car read the note, look up and smile. My heart was going a hundred miles an hour. I know this is so small, but it might be my most favorite thing ever. I tried to figure out all day, why I loved this one so much. I think giving to a complete stranger who you will never see again, and who can not tell you thank you....to me that is what giving is all about. I can't really attach the right words to the feeling. The feeling was just indescribable. 


I decided to mostly do 26 acts as one collective thing. I took 26 toys to a children's hospital. My heart told me to do something for children, since so many were lost last week. The toys are not just for Christmas. I read on their website that they use these as comforting tools when a child is getting a treatment or getting shots, etc. I pray that each of these small gifts will bless 26 precious children.

 I really love the ideas that my friend Holly came up with, here.
She did some really wonderful acts of kindness yesterday.

I am so thankful that I was able to participate in this. Our family is only able to do these things by the grace of God. I know that in an instant, everything that we have could be taken away from us.
What I received in return, by these small acts, can not be measured. 
The world felt so dark this past week, but there is so much light.
There is a lot of healing taking place.
This world is still so beautiful.
My heart is full.
{and the world didn't end. yippee}.
 
love,
nicolle

10 comments:

Kris said...

Nicolle,
I had decided, that for me, the healing would be best done by doing random acts of kindness. I had not heard of anything that had been organized as such, but I love this! My Gennifer bought us brownies today, and Erika gave our gardener a small check. I have been doing small things too, but not specifically with one child's name attached. I will continue to do this, and I will continue to pray for healing for these families. Your gift to the children's hospital is wonderful!!!!
Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!
Love,
Kris

Holly said...

Thank you for sharing this with me.
All of mine were on a very small scale and maybe one day I can go bigger...
But today turned out to be one of my favorite days ever, and I know Maddox will remember it forever!

Kim Tackett said...

Nicolle, thanks for your inspiration. I've been trying to do the 26 acts, but had a hard time imagining what to do. You gave me more ideas! Merry Christmas! love, Kim

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

You are an inspiration, how amazing!

Genn said...

Oh Nicolle, I just LOVE this!!!
I love your idea of the 26 gifts for children!! Love it so much I might do the same thing here.
I've been so overwhelmed to see the number of people that are participating in this.
I gifted a client last night with a bottle of wine and asked her to pay it forward and she hadn't heard about this yet and was so excited to continue and said she had a few ideas of what she would do to pay it forward.

So neat. And you are right, the world is still beautiful and doing these random acts of kindness is a way to heal and to help.

Just love it, and love you my friend.

Merry Christmas.

Seneca said...

Nicolle

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for being a willing servant of those who you don't know personally.

Ross said...

I was planning on spending some time this week just doing random acts of kindness with my kids until I got sick. So while I was in hospital this past week, I decided I would try an act of kindness there. So I bought each person on the ward a newspaper and a coffee if they could have it. It isn't very much but it's an act that sets other's forth to act! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Megan said...

What a great idea! Good wins!

Kerri said...

I read your post a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment. I LOVE this and what you did for all those children. It's truly what Chrismtas is all about. We have done more of this this Christmas and less here at home...and it feels really good. You do this all year round...and I feel like you are such an awesome example to so many of us. We are doing our 26 acts of kindness today on Christmas Eve...Brady wanted to do something like we did last year and this is just perfect to do in honor of those lives lost last Friday. I am just giddy this morning thinking about our day. We tried to make a list...but we couldn't come up with 26 ideas... I'm sure once we're out and about we will figure it out!
I hope you and Boyd and Kevin have a wonderful Christmas!

{cindy} said...

(ok i swear i haven't been "gone" this long...just usually popping in for just long enough to get my post out, read a few then outta here...no time to comment:( but i DID read it back then!:) )

love this so much nicolle. i am out of the social media loop so of course i heard nothing about it from that end, but i can always count on you for simple and encouraging ways to bless others! we are adding this to our new years goals and intentions over here. finding ways daily to bless others and each other. thanks again for always being such a blessing to me.
have a happy day nicolle