the three of us drove down to see my grandma yesterday, and so that kevin could do a couple of things for her around the house. i love that kevin is so good to her. my grandma cooked for us, and let me tell you, i devoured my food. i can't really describe it, but it was a happy moment, and i told her i think i enjoyed it even more because we rarely sit down to a meal that someone else has cooked. that is not a complaint, just a fact. and a meal is always better when it's cooked by someone that you love. so anyway, i had to share one of the side dishes that she made. i have never had canned diced tomatoes as a side dish, and i would have read this recipe and skipped right past it, but now that i've had it, i'm hooked. and of course i made it again today. yesterday we had it with pork chops and it was so delicious.
i hope you will try it out. it's kind of crazy how good it is.
i hope you will try it out. it's kind of crazy how good it is.
since we've loved fresh tomatoes all summer,
this will be a perfect transition into a dish to make for the winter months ahead.
a tablespoon or so of butter, a large handful of diced yellow onion, sautee in a pan.
add one large can of diced tomatoes, drained.
add a little bit of black pepper.
simmer for about 10 minutes.
transfer to a baking dish and add a little mozzarella cheese,
put under the broiler until cheese starts to brown.
put under the broiler until cheese starts to brown.
i was able to make 2 individual serving dishes worth, out of this.
{my grandma topped hers with a few croutons,
and used grated parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella.
i used what we had and either way is just as delicious}.
it's been a rainy day today, and we've loved it.
boyd has today and tomorrow as a school holiday.
it felt like old times having him with me all day.
today we went grocery shopping, to the trampoline park,
and picked up an angry birds happy meal bucket from mcdonald's.
i was happy to have a day with him.
it's been a rainy day today, and we've loved it.
boyd has today and tomorrow as a school holiday.
it felt like old times having him with me all day.
today we went grocery shopping, to the trampoline park,
and picked up an angry birds happy meal bucket from mcdonald's.
i was happy to have a day with him.
he picked this {weed} flower from a neighbor's yard and ran up to me and said,
do you like it? it can be yours.
and so i gladly took it from him.
and, boyd has had a loose tooth for a couple of weeks now. we first discovered it in san antonio while we were brushing his teeth. he's bitten down on it a few times and made it bleed. tonight he bit wrong and let out a scream. we went into the bathroom, i calmly cleaned up the blood, we wiggled it and talked about it, and i asked him if he felt like pulling it. he tried a couple of times, and then i thought he was just going to stop, and all of a sudden he hands me his tooth. oh my sweet boy.
you never understand why this is such an exciting milestone, until it finally happens.
exciting and bittersweet.
and bless his heart, he has such a gap on top, that at first glance you might not be able to tell that he lost his bottom tooth.
i certainly didn't want boyd to be scared again, after our week long zombie scare,
so we told him that the tooth fairy would come but that she's invisible and he won't even know.
he wrote her name on this envelope.
boyd is now fast asleep,
and the tooth fairy has delivered a sweet note and a few dollar bills and 4 coins.
goodnight.
love,
nicolle






9 comments:
Congrats on the tooth Boyd! Sounds like you had a great weekend and that food looks great.
so happy you had that home cooked meal with your grandma. and I hear you on the rarely does someone cook for you thing...now I know dave cooks for me all the time but I still have to clean up!:) so I get it. and the by someone you love part makes all the difference...restaurants are a distant second there!:)
I will show the dave the side dish recipe. I love just about anything with croutons and cheese!!:)
and yeah for the tooth fairy!
does he sound different? that is always one of the best hidden treasures to that milestone...their "new" voices!
video worthy for sure. wait till the top two are out....!!:) Aubrey plays all the time that she lost a tooth and puts some little white piece of something under her pillow!:)
glad you got some "good ol' days" with boyd too. the big girls were home Friday and Monday and I loved it!!
have a happy day nicolle
Sounds like a great day! I LOVE broiled tomatoes and put on chicken a lot for a quick and easy meal.
Boyd looks so grown up with his new hair cut. HG has checked her teeth so often lately since so many are loosing teeth.
That is just SO exciting about Boyd's tooth! And, I adore that smile!
I can't believe I didn't think of that recipe. I love any kind of tomato and cheese dish, so it sounds awesome!
Such a big day. Love those toothless grins. Yay. And that recipe sounds so good. Who would have thought? Enjoy your time out of school!
I am making that recipe in a now like fashion. Do you eat it with crackers or just a spoon?
I love Boyd. Everytime I see a sweaty picture of him, I smile. Boy. Boy. Boy. :)
I agree with you about someone cooking a meal for you. Simple, pure pleasure. And I think cheese + tomatoes may be one of my very favorite combos of all time. So happy you had some bonus days with Boyd...and love his toothless grin.
Grandmas just make the best food, don't they? The tomato dish sounds good. Perfect for cool nights.
It's been rainy here too. The sun shined today but it was a chilly day. Had to scrape my car windows this morning. Not quite ready for that yet.
Boyd was so brave to pull his own tooth! I used to let mine just hang until they eventually fell out themselves. I've always been a wuss. ;o)
Once they start losing teeth...they grow up faster:} Not really, but it does seem like it and when their front teeth come out, then it changes their whole face!
those tomatos sound divine! Can't wait to try them!
Post a Comment