Sunday, January 2, 2011

the last few days

for new year's eve we went to a dinner party at my cousin ryan's house,
to celebrate his birthday.
i was fighting a cold/allergies/congestion/whatever.
i felt like crap, but i really wanted to go.
so we went and had fun.
and played cranium, which we love.
i'm sorry i was a party pooper and made kevin take me home by 11 pm.
when we got home the kids next door were having a crazy party,
their parents were out of town.
their secret is safe with us!
kevin and our neighbor hung out till almost 2 am to make sure our house was ok.
there were about 50 or 60 kids going in and out.
they were trying to be cool and kept trying to talk to kevin and adam.
they were saying, you guys don't mind if we have this party do you?!
makes me laugh that we are now the "old" people.
my sister hung out with boyd at our house while we were at ryan and emily's.
thank you sis!

ryan's wife, and my friend, emily is a master in the kitchen.
she made this recipe, here.
pork with cherry sauce.
to die for!
i love to cook, but normally my pork or beef or chicken are swimming
in some sort of brown gravy or cream sauce.
we loved this so much, kevin requested it again for new year's day.
i was happy to make it.


emily wrote down the recipe and sent it home with me.
i will admit i did cook my pork longer than 4 minutes on each side.
i was worried it wouldn't be done.
it turned out so good!
if you want something so delicious and so totally different,
make this.
your friends and family will be impressed.
this will be something i make over and over again.


boyd woke up with a high fever on new year's day.
yes, we have 3 different thermometers.
i am not a fan of any of them for kids.
we have a regular one, ear one, and temple one.
any suggestions?!


boyd didn't want to eat all day.
we made the mistake of thinking he wanted something last night.
bad idea.
very bad.
carpet has to be shampooed today.
doesn't he look pitiful?!
i worry about boyd so much when he has a fever.
kevin and i were both on high alert all night. :)


a new year,
a new calendar,
from my most favorite restaurant in the world.


i hope it is a great year!


i'm off to grind some coffee beans.
i've needed a lot of this the last few days.
{on a side note, keri p., the toasted coconut coffee is so good, it's almost gone.
i'm trying to savor the last of it. thank you again!}

20 comments:

Genn said...

My first comment was going to be Oh poor Boyd I hope he is up and running soon... and then you totally distracted me with coconut coffee beans! Oh my. Sounds fabulous. I am savoring my Starbuck's Christmas Blend. Just discovered it this year and it is so goood!

I worry so much when my girls have fevers too. My oldest one gets them easily and they always spike real high. I have learned (mainly because my husband is a pharmacist) that with her it really helps to alternate the tylenol and motrin. for whatever reason just tylenol does not really do it for Hannah. Hope that fever is gone today!

Kerri said...

Me too.. same as Genn! Cocounut coffee? Why oh why can't I like coffee?!
I worry about fevers too...it's a scary thing. I dated a guy in highschool that got a fever of 106 and lost all of his hearing. We have that first thermometer. I usually have to take Brady's temp 3 times and then do an average.
We had pork chops and saurkraut yesterday...boring. I'm not very good at cooking pork...I worry too about pork not being done enough...so then it is usually overdone and dry!
Hope Boyd is feeling lots better today!

Nichole said...

Hope both you and Boyd are feeling well soon!

My mother-in-law called me yesterday and said it's going to be a good year...she can feel it in her bones. Here's to hoping she's right ;o)

SZM said...

Oh, feel better Boyd. And coconut coffee? Yum. Were you and I separated at birth? And I love the calendar!! Happy Epiphany!

Dawn said...

I hope Boyd is feeling better. I just hate when our babies are sick.

The coconut coffee sounds absolutely wonderful!!

Dawn said...

Oh, and that recipe sounds delicious. If you say it's good, I believe you. =) I'm saving the recipe. I may have to make it for cooking club sometime. Thank you.

Kim said...

Oh no! I hope Boyd is feeling better. But, he sure is cute even when he's sick.

We make a pork chop recipe with dried cherries. I love it! Seems like it may be similar. I'll have to check.

That calendar ROCKS! I bet their baked goods are yummy.

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

I sure hope Boyd is feeling better, it is no fun to be sick. I'm shampooing my car in the morning thanks to a car sick girl this morning.
Happy New Year!

Nina said...

Awww, poor Boyd. Hope he is feeling better.

We go to a friend's house for NYE and we play board games every year. It is always so much fun.

That pork sounds yummy and I am definitely going to try it!

By the way, I got some Orville Redenbacher Salt and Lime popcorn and it is to die for!! OMG! So good. Is this the kind you were talking about?

4 Lettre Words said...

Oh, I can smell those coffee beans! And, the recipe sounds awesome.

Sure hope Boyd is back to his old self very soon. XO!

Unknown said...

Poor Boyd. I hope he is feeling better by now. I hate when they are sick. We just have the temporal thermometer. I don't think it is perfect but gives me an idea. I used an under the tongue one on Paige when I was at my sisters and she asked what it was and if it would hurt. They have never seen any other kind (that they can remember - we have all blocked out the rectal baby ones!!). Even their doctor uses one like ours.
And that NYE party sounds nuts! Not sure I would have been as cool as you guys about it!

{cindy} said...

So sorry Boyd is sick, but it's a good thing those little ones bounce back so quickly isn't it? (we have the basic thermometer and the ear one, that ear one is so unpredictable though isn't it??) Oh and "carpet cleaning" sick is the absolute worst...!!!
Glad you made it to your party, even if you were home at 11!:) We were all in bed way before that!!!
Enjoy the day
That recipe sounds awesome!!

Lisa @ lists in my pocket said...

Happy New Year Nicolle! Sorry Boyd is sick.

I love Cranium too :) We tried "Things" this year and it is hilarious with a group of friends that know each other very well!

Dawn said...

Hi, Girlie!
I just wanted you to go visit my friend, Marla's blog. You'll love her post today.

http://buttsandashes.blogspot.com/2011/01/insane-ideas-take-two.html

Shelley said...

Poor Boyd! Hope he's back to his spunky self today!

Dani said...

Oh...I hope everyone is feeling better.

What is up with this virus thing that's going around? The Boy was sick almost the whole Christmas break!

I am SO sick of sickness.

Well wishes coming your way...

Marla said...

Poor little kiddo. I always felt so bad when my kids were sick.

Marla said...

Oh and that recipe.....it is absolutely going to be tried in this kitchen sister. Thanks!

Emily said...

Oh my bad handwriting!

Here is the recipe on my blog: http://dreamingofmarthastewart.blogspot.com/2010/01/pork-medallions-with-tangy-cherry.html

Dawn said...

Hey girl, do you think this pork dish would be considered healthy? I've got to take something "healthy" to cooking club this month.