but since my sis has not had a birthday at home in many years, we had a small celebration for her yesterday afternoon at my mom and stepdad's house.
my sis wanted an italian cream cake.
my mom made this one.
it was so pretty and so delicious.
my mom made tomato pies.
i've never had one before.
it's hard to read the paper here,
so i'll post recipe at end of this post.
this is what it looks like before the cheese goes on and you put it in the oven.
this was amazing.
the taste was out of this world.
we also had one of our family's favorite snacks.
have you ever had this sauce over cream cheese, with crackers.
it's yum!
she got a few fun gifts.
my sis with boyd.
she yelled when i took this photo, don't take my picture i look like a witch.
yeah mom, totally like a witch! :)
my mom and stepdad.
a few of my mom's halloween/fall decorations.

we had just lit the candles to sing happy birthday and kevin called.....
my uncle had called him and my grandma boyd (my dad's mom) is in the hospital with either a stroke or a heart attack.
so boyd and i rushed out to see her.
we didn't even get to sing the happy birthday song.
sorry sis, i owe it to you! :)
in my haste we left handy manny.
oh lord.
boyd was crying for him at 4:45 this morning.
AGH!
anyway, kevin's mom saved the day.
she works right by the hospital, so i dropped boyd off to her and she took him home to play and give him dinner.
i visited with my grandma and uncle.
i guess they will know more today about her treatment options.
not to make light of my grandma, but it was a good birthday celebration.
life is a constant up and down, and we have to celebrate when we can.
love you sis.
_____
here is the recipe for the tomato pie.
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 cup mayo
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup sliced scallions (or green onions)
8 to 10 medium plum tomatoes or roma tomatoes
heat oven to 350, place one oven rack on the very bottom shelf of oven.
line a 9 inch pie pan with the crust and crimp the edges with a fork.
prick bottom and sides of dough with a fork.
bake 10 to 12 minutes until crust looks slightly puffed and dry.
meanwhile in a bowl mix mayo, 1 1/4 cups of cheese and the black pepper.
sprinkle bottom of partially baked crust with 1/2 cup of the remaining cheese.
top with a layer of tomatoes.
sprinkle with scallions.
spoon some of the mayo mixture on next in dollops, you don't need to spread it, just drop it in clumps.
do another layer of the above tomatoes, scallions, and mayo mixture.
recipe calls for 3 layers of tomatoes, scallions, mayo mixture.
sprinkle top with cheese, but don't fully cover.
bake 30 to 35 minutes until the crust is golden and juices are bubbling.
cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
good with a side salad. the pie is very rich, but oh so good.
enjoy!
13 comments:
You guys always have the best food!!
Sure hope your sis enjoyed herself. Love her sassy hair!
So you get your cookingness (probably not a word, right?) from your mom! That cake looks heavenly...I'd really like a bite! The tomato pie is so pretty...I'll be waiting for that recipe! And I will also look for that sauce...cream cheese, crackers and any kind of sauce works for me!
Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Do they know yet what happened? I will say a prayer for her. Just wondering if Boyd is her firt or last name?
So sorry to hear about your grandma! Prayers for her and your family!
She did have a great birthday! :)
We all love to cook and eat....so we cook a lot and love to try different things. My mom is a great cook. My dad was too, so yes, I guess I get it from them.
My grandma passed out at her apartment. They will get tests back today, but by the way her heart is acting, they are pretty sure it was a stroke or heart attack. She is on oxygen now b/c fluid has built up in her lungs and she is having a rough time breathing. She is 87 and has enjoyed fairly great health until this. Thanks for the prayers.
Her last name is Boyd....that was my maiden name....so I always said if I had a son I would want that to be his first name. :)
I send get well wishes to your family...
And you MUST post that tomato pie recipe. MUST!
I love your mom's t-shirt. Very un-witch like.
yes please, i need that recipe!
quick, i'm going grocery shopping tomorrow!! ha
sorry to hear about the updated condition on your grandma. that's a little different than congestive heart failure! hopefully it's just a minor setback in a long, long life!
thanks everyone. they are putting in a pacemaker at 8 am tomorrow for my grandma. so far, so good! she feels better today.
i updated the blog post with the tomato pie recipe! :))
I'm glad to see(by your comments) that your grandma is feeling better today! I hope her surgery goes well tomorrow.
I love the color of your mom's kitchen cabinets!
I think I'll give that recipe a try this weekend. It looks really good!
I will have to try the tomato pie, Hailey Grace LOVES tomatoes!!
Hapy late birthday to your sister and so sorry about your grandmother.
Praying for your Grandma Boyd.
So glad Grandma is doing better!
That cake looks divine!
Enjoy the day
Yum! This reminds me of the recipe I concocted in Russia, after eating the most delicious dish at a restaurant. The mayonaise gives it a wonderful taste! I add all kinds of thinly sliced or shredded veggies like carrots, squash, and onion, but don't use the crust. I haven't make it in awhile, but after seeing this post, I'm suddenly craving it!
I agree with Dina.. you have the best food.
Thanks for sharing the recipe. If you don't care I want to repost it on facebook with your pictures of it?!?
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I'm glad the surgery to do the pacemaker went well. ( I think I read that in a later post?!)
I'm also sorry about your trailor. That makes me so mad. I definitely would move it elsewhere.
Post a Comment