Kevin sent me this recipe the other day, here.
Baked spaghetti squash and cheese, plus spinach.
I've cooked with spaghetti squash before, and we love it, but cooking with it is a labor of love in my opinion.
I've never used it quite like this though, so I was happy to try it out.
As usual, I made a cup of coffee, and got started.
I cook my squash a little differently than the recipe states. I just puncture each one a few times, and bake whole, for an hour, at 400 degrees.
{make sure you remove that paper sticker}.
Then I cut them in half lengthwise, remove seeds and dispose {you will lose a few strands of the squash but that's ok, just scoop out that very center with all the seeds}, then scrape out the strands of squash, all the way to the outer shell.
One large squash was plenty for this recipe, {about 4 lbs}, so I cleaned up the other one, and will make a meat sauce later in the week, and we'll have spaghetti.
You get these beautiful strands from the squash.
A great substitute for pasta.
I mixed everything up, and this is what it looked like before I put it in the oven.
The finished product.
I was going for low carb as opposed to lower in calories, so I did use regular cheese and whole milk in mine.
also, i used the corn starch option, as opposed to flour,
and a bit less spinach.
We ate it with ham steak.
It was perfect. It tasted better than I had even imagined.
We loved it.
Definitely a recipe I will be making again.
A few more things that made me happy today.....
One large squash was plenty for this recipe, {about 4 lbs}, so I cleaned up the other one, and will make a meat sauce later in the week, and we'll have spaghetti.
You get these beautiful strands from the squash.
A great substitute for pasta.
I mixed everything up, and this is what it looked like before I put it in the oven.
The finished product.
I was going for low carb as opposed to lower in calories, so I did use regular cheese and whole milk in mine.
also, i used the corn starch option, as opposed to flour,
and a bit less spinach.
We ate it with ham steak.
It was perfect. It tasted better than I had even imagined.
We loved it.
Definitely a recipe I will be making again.
A few more things that made me happy today.....
Ezekiel bread plus cream cheese plus pepper jelly. {thank you Cindy and Dave for the yummy jelly}.
I was having a small pity party {party of one} at McD and posted something on Instagram, and my sweet friend/blog friend Holly said she was right next door at another restaurant, and so Boyd and I swung over there to visit. It was just what I needed today. I also got to meet her baby boy, and one of her friends. Made my day. God works in mysterious, but beautiful ways.
best soy sauce ever.
{i know that's random, but i will never buy full sodium soy sauce again}.
sign in our kitchen.
new artwork.
this sweet boy, and bedtime.
hope your day has been a good day.
love,
nicolle




10 comments:
Sorry to hear you were having a bad day but I'm glad you got to have an unexpected pick-me-up visit with a friend. :o)
I always love your posts!!! The squash looks so good! And so does the bread!!! And I will never tire of seeing that cute Boyd!!
: ) Kris
That recipe looks yummy...wonder if I could make it and not tell my family it was squash:)
BTW...the fact that the lady at MCD's just stared at you, was not weird, it was RUDE! We have lost all manners in our society! I mean how many little boys are named Boyd? Rude, I tell you rude!:)
LOVE your method of cooking the squash! I have one on my counter right now and have been hesitating to cook it simply because I hate cutting them in half when they're raw. Mine is going in the oven at lunch today! Love the recipe too! Awesome!
Hola! Been missing you and sweet Boyd's face with all my travels but I have been thinking of you!
That Spaghetti squash looks divine!! I made it once for B and he was like uh....No thank you!! haha but your recipe sounds WAY better than the one I made. I wish I were at your dinner table noW!
Just wanted to say a quick hello and let you know I still love you guys and your sweet blog.
xo
L
Seeing you in real life made my day... maybe week!
I did worry for a *split* second that I should have been a little more "nice to meet you" and less "we've been pals for years"... but I do feel that way about you. You're so sweet and nice in real life as you are in blog-world, and easy to talk to.
And Boyd...
Seriously, A DOLL.
We MUST meet again!
***
and as for the recipe... I have seen this squash all over pinterest and I assumed the "noodle look" was due to them carving it out with a fork-- I felt so ignorant as I looked at your picture and realized that is how they grow!
(I should really break away from my cream-ofs!!) :)
That squash dish looks SO so good!!!
I was so sorry to hear about the day at McD's. Some people can really be so weird sometimes.
But how cool that Holly was nextdoor and you got to hang out! Now have you guys met before or was that a first? So neat.
Love the artwork!!! That dish looks so delicious!! I usually cheat and buy the precut squashes that are large like that because cutting through them I have almost lost my fingers! LOL But baking it is a good idea, I'll have to try that!
Enjoy
Jill
I'm so glad you posted that recipe. When I saw it on IG, I knew I had to have it! :)
There's just something about babes in pajamas. Or, maybe it's just babes at bedtime. I love it!
not sure what happened at McD? (was that on instagram?:) ) but i'm guessing it wasn't nice:(! sorry
how cool that holly was next door! two blogginig friends in one week!!! you go girl!
glad you love the pepper jelly! we knew you would.
have a happy day nicolle
Post a Comment