Friday, January 28, 2011

friday

i bought a couple of house plants this morning,
to give us some cleaner air inside.
and we have the windows open because it is a
BEAUTIFUL DAY here in texas!


kevin is out of town,
so boyd and i cheated and made some of my favorite cookies.
lemon icing cookies.
they are so easy to make and taste like heaven.
don't feel bad for kevin though,
he is in san antonio at a bbq cookoff with his dad.
here is what you need for the cookies.

lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 c vegetable oil
juice from fresh squeezed lemon
lemon icing, store bought in the can

mix first 4 ingredients, drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheet.
bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.
let cool.
spread lemon icing on top.
i get them perfectly round by cutting them with a small juice glass,
while still warm.


boyd is about to nap.
i'm thinking of pouring a coke zero,
and watching some trashy tv.
after that boyd is going to ride his bike,
outside for the first time.
how would it look if i walk around with a glass of wine,
while he rides his bike and i take pictures.
i probably don't care, and i'm probably going to do it.
i love being the mom to this precious, silly, stinky,
crazy baby boy.
and i love that kevin and i can be away from each other for a day,
and miss each other like crazy.
that doesn't mean we love spending every second together,
you know what i mean.
but it's still a good feeling to miss your husband when he is gone.
our life is not perfect but we make it work.

have a good weekend.

"if you want to be happy, be".
~tolstoy

20 comments:

SZM said...

Oh my gosh...I make those exact cookies except with a glaze. I took them to a cookie exchange in Texas and they won "best tasting cookie!" I felt like I had cheated because they are so dang easy!

4 Lettre Words said...

LOVE that recipe! And, the warm weather is slowing getting to GA. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 63. We are all ecstatic!

Have a fabulous weekend, friend!!

Bonnie said...

Love how easy that recipe is. Sounds like a good addition to my husband's lunchbox. I understand about missing your husband...it's good to know that there's still something there after a few years, and a baby or two! My husband got home early from the hospital today, so we are going grocery shopping later as a fam. Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Ms. Frantastic said...

I love how beautiful your ordinary life is. You really inspire me, and are a constant reminder that God answers prayers...it just may take Him awhile. :)

Miss you on FB my friend, but glad I can still find you on here.

Kerri said...

Your windows are open?! We hit 28 degrees today...felt like a warm front came through!!
I love lemon....can't wait to try your cookies!! I wish I would have read your post BEFORE I went to the grocery! MY husband is loving all these blog recipes...of course it's not so good on the waistline that I feel the need to try everyone's recipes!!
Enjoy your wine...I'm about to pour some champagne!

{cindy} said...

Wow, those cookies look so yummy and refreshing. Do I have to wait till it warms up around here to make them?!?:) I would love a good window open kind of day.
Enjoy the weekend

Nichole said...

I'm so jealous that you got to have open windows today! Two of my favorite things about spring are being able to open the windows and when the birds come back so it's not so quiet outside.

So I need to know...did you walk around outside with your glass of wine? :o)

I'm going to save that recipe and give em a try some day!

Kim said...

hehe...you'd fit right in on our cul-de-sac if you walked around outside w/a glass of wine. Go for it!

And I swear we're on the same wavelength. I have "new houseplants" on my to-do list.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my recent post. You are such a doll!

Whitney said...

I'm at home tonight alone too...should've met up somewhere..oh well. AND yes, have the wine, but I usually put it in a plastic cup for safety reasons and for all anyone knows it is coke! :)

Dani said...

Excellent quote. I might steal it.

I know what you mean about missing each other. I don't feel like missing my Mr. at the moment, ahem. But I do. I think it has something to do with being best friends but still being hot for each other.

Drink the wine. As long as you don't try to ride Boyd's bike. ;-)

Chelsea said...

Oh yum!! Thank you for the recipe I LOVE lemon desserts. Lemon cake, lemon bars...mmm my mouth is watering!

Kristen said...

warm enough weather to open your windows?! I am SO jealous! I can't wait for the weather to be nice..... I'm tired of the snow and gray skies :(

sloan said...

love lemon-ey desserts, yum - these look delicious, nicolle ... and even better, they're easy!! Thanks for sharing!

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

You won't be the first one in Keller walking with a glass of wine! We used to all time and met more neighbors that way.
I thought about you while in Keller today. Miss it so bad! Bad enough to see if all the land as been sold by Cheddar's!
Oh - are you doing MDO again next year? I saved HG's spot but only by a miracle would we still be here. Let me know if you are interested. It is two days a week but a great place!

Holly said...

I LOVE lemon cookies!!
I will have to try these!

Since you are a fellow DFW-ian, have you tried McKinley bakery's (originally Celebrity bakery)lemon icebox cookies?
TO DIE FOR!! :)

Megan said...

Those cookies look yum. I love lemon. I was going to make a lemon poundcake, but it didn't happen and now all of my kitchen is headed to a small island. :)

I agree, it is nice to have the opportunity to miss each other. It makes you appreciate all of the little things that we take for granted.

It was a beautiful day here yesterday. It makes me smile to think of you with your wine and camera.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a perfect day. LOL to the trashy TV ;o) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Nina said...

Man, those lemon cookies look so good. I love anything lemony. :) I also love that you would drink wine while following Boyd around on his bike. Hey, it's your life, live it the way you want to. Ha! You are way lucky to have a husband like Kevin. What a beautiful family!

Dawn said...

Those cookies sound and look so yummy!

I still miss Brett everyday when he is at work. We've been married 17 years. I always look forward to him being home.

I'm glad you and Kevin have that kind of relationship as well.

I hope you've had a great weekend.

Jess said...

i have a recipe just like this!!! and all the ladies at church LOVE when i bring them to our church's coffee hour...i am now the "lemon cookie" lady!