I didn't write about this the other day, but I went to an orientation meeting on Saturday, at the Union Gospel Mission, in order to start volunteering there. I was so excited all week, once I had my meeting date. I learned so much more about the mission on Saturday. I want to document some of what I do there, on my blog. I have a couple of precious friends that are going to volunteer, and another friend long distance that wants to send some items when we makeover a resident's room. God is so good.
The mission serves about 700 meals a day to residents, as well as anyone on the street that is in need of food. 3 meals a day, 365 days a year. They have approximately 325 long term residents {up to 1 year}, who live there, get help with life skills, finding jobs, and so much more. They can also give shelter to about 70 others on a nightly, temporary basis. There are so many needs there, but it is such a beautiful place. I can't wait to get started.
Last night I waited patiently for my sweet husband to get home, and then we went out for a late night dinner date. Yes, I kept checking out front to see if he was home.
We went to a place we love, but haven't been to in a while. It's a little 5 star restaurant, in a gas station. The owner wanted to open a restaurant, couldn't get a loan for one, but they would give him a loan for a gas station, so he opened one up, and put his restaurant on the side. It's so successful, and the food is amazing.
They are famous for their bread pudding, and although we were stuffed, I had to have some.
Guy Fieri has been there, or as the tourists at the table behind us said,
Guy Ferrari.
:)
Boyd has been busy helping his memaw {Kevin's mom} and great aunt decorate for Christmas.
Their house looks so pretty and festive.
We spent some time there today.
It was a good day.
{helmet not required for decorating, he had been riding his bike}.
Tonight's grand finale.
God gave us this beautiful sunset.
goodnight.
love,
nicolle









9 comments:
I think that is sooo neat about you starting volunteering. I am sure you are going to have so many new and exciting experiences because of it (that sounds like something you'd see written in a yearbook).
I love your mom's decorations - I thought those were tomatoes in that plant! I want to copy that :)
That is awesome about the mission, I love volunteering for places like that. You always meet the most amazing people when you least expect it. I wish I could do it with you!!
Nicolle,
How exciting to be volunteering at a place that does such great work for the community! That is amazing....how many they feed daily.
Beautiful shot of the sunset, and fun to see Boyd decorating with his Grandma!!!
Hugs,
Kris
You've had a couple amazing days, my friend. I really love your heart!
Love, love that first photo!!
we have been blessed with some amazing sunsets too. i love this time of year for that!:)
so, so glad you are going to be volunteering at a place that does so much good and that brings you so much joy. that is a perfect combination my friend!
"Helmet not needed for decorating" --that one got me tickled!
I can't wait for this journey for you... your heart has this written all over it. God has a big plan for you!
Wow! I love that first picture! And you know I love the Christmas lights too!! :o)
I think it is so cool that you are volunteering. I can't wait to hear about your experiences.
As I was reading about that restaurant, I was thinking..I think I've seen this place on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives! How fun that you guys got to eat there!
How wonderful to be able to be volunteering for such a great place Nicolle. Good for you, I bet that will bring you a lot of joy.
That restaurant sounds so neat. I love the guy's story. And Guy Ferrari, that's funny. ;)
Love those pictures of sweet Boyd too! He is just such a cutie pie. I wish my girls could play with him. I bet he loved decorating with Grandma!
Post a Comment