Thursday, March 6, 2014

treat yourself

before i spend money, i usually think that i could use it on something else.
there is always a list of things that we need for the house, or groceries, stuff for boyd, 
we're out of stamps, the fence needs to be repaired...you know...
or i get a pang of guilt because i think of so many that have nothing,
that wouldn't have ten dollars to burn on some flowers and a magazine and a fun bottle of water.
we have so much more than some, and we live a modest life compared to many.

but today, i bought a few of my favorite things.
because god has blessed us, and i know we are to enjoy this life, 
as much as we can. 
even though it's hard at times, and it's hard all the time for some.

we can enjoy things, without making them idols,
as a wise friend once told me. 
that has forever been written in my mind.

one of my best friends introduced me to sparkling water a couple of years ago,
and i waivered back and forth for a while, but now i love it.


 i saw this meal idea online, and copied it at home today, and it was delicious.
plantain chips, taco meat with fresh tomato, avocado, and lime squeezed all over.


i picked up one of my favorite magazines.


i hope you get to treat yourself today, 
or sometime soon.
keep it simple, but do it.



life is good.

love,
nicolle


8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Lovely pictures and reminders. Some of my favorite treats are Jam Jar wine (World Market), Petite Basque cheese (TJ's), and dark chocolate. Also, have you seen the "Treat Yo' Self" scene from Parks and Rec? So funny!

Kerri said...

^^^^so funny...I love Parks and Rec!
Such a great way to put it Nicolle. I often feel guilty too when I pick up a People magazine or a Starbucks once in a bloom moon. I too think of things we need. I will often stand and look at something little for ten minutes and then talk myself out of it and walk away. My husband thinks I'm nuts...I think he's lucky I'm not a spender! :)

Megan said...

When I read your words, I hear a pure heart. I admire how you always have gratitude at the forefront of your mind.
Fresh flowers are one of my favorite things {and magazines, and bubbly water}. I love to have them on my kitchen table, but feel like it is such a splurge on something that doesn't last very long. But the joy they bring me while they last surely outweighs the knowledge that they will wilt and die! The Bible says, "Taste and see that the Lord is good." Love that. We delight in Him by the blessings.
p.s. So glad you are a sparkling gal! I like the bubbles without the sweet. Try La Croix Cherry Lime.

Kris said...

I love that you treat yourself. I also love that you treat others who are less fortunate than you are, a LOT! I am not a fan of the sparkling water, but my husband is!
Your meal looked very interesting! And tangy. And good!
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!!
xo Kris

SZM said...

What Megan said.....she put it perfectly!

{cindy} said...

i do the same thing before treating myself...but not when it comes to frozen mochas...sadly!:)
dave is a HUGE fan of the bubbly water...la croix all the time...me? can't!:) i'm so plain!!:) haha
glad your heart was delighted today!
keep doin it!
have a happy day nicolle

Holly said...

I am SO bad about that... I never ever ever make it to the check out with everything I have put in my basket-- I am constantly trading along the way-- I can wait on mascara; and I'll get them the character snacks... i can use the rest of my ground coffee, instead of buying cups, we are out of paper towels.

I am going to keep this blog in my head next time I am out!

4 Lettre Words said...

It's always good to treat ourselves from time-to-time! In fact, I was just thinking that I want to go get a pedicure before the weekend. ;)