Saturday, July 19, 2014

texas road trip, austin

we weren't going to go anywhere this summer,
but the itch always hits me,
and i'm always up for a road trip in my favorite state.
we kept it simple and very affordable, 
and so my mom, boyd and i hit the road this past week.

we always have to stop in west, texas at the czech stop on our way down south,
for the best kolaches anywhere.


then we made it to austin.
oh austin.
i love that city. 
probably one of my top 3 or 4 favorite cities anywhere, ever. 
 i couldn't wait to have some jo's coffee, and see the cutest building in austin.



 boyd wasn't too happy about the long, hot walk to get coffee,
but he sure did look cute.


 we ate at a couple of places that we haven't been to before.
homeslice pizza was delicious.




amy's ice cream was good too.
i had the mexican vanilla. it was incredible.
if i had more room, i would have had the coffee and the shiner ice cream as well.



then we shopped.




we checked into our hotel, tried to cool off a bit,
then booked a boat ride to see the bats fly at the congress street bridge.
we ate at the original chuy's restaurant, then were off to see the bats.



 the congress street bats.
i've always wanted to see them.
last time we were in austin boyd was scared,
but he was {kind of} up for the adventure this time.
there are millions of them that live under the congress street bridge.
it can take several hours for all of them to take flight each night.
it was a pretty cool thing to see,
and the sunset cruise was pretty perfect too.
 



  



  we had 2 nights booked in austin, 
but it was so hot, and we were itching for the beach,
so we changed around our hotels, 
stopped for breakfast tuesday morning at magnolia cafe,
and headed to the coast.


love,
nicolle

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Looks like a fun time! I think it's cool to take a road trip in your own state! I always joke that people in Texas LOVE Texas...but I always find that to be true. Just yesterday, Brady played a boy in a tournament in Hershey, PA who is from Texas. (The mom told me they are about 2 hrs from Fort Worth.) Anyway, they moved from PA to Texas six years ago and they just love it there :)
BTW, what is shiner ice cream??

Nicolle said...

It's funny but so true, we LOVE our state! :) Shiner is a Texas beer, so that is beer flavored ice cream. I bet it was yummy! I know I should have tried it!
xo

Megan said...

You make me want to visit Austin. Craig's office is there and he goes every other week. I think I am going to tag along one of these times! BTW, Boyd is looking so grown up in these pictures!