Tuesday, May 28, 2013

sun and bbq {family and friends}

boyd and i woke up early saturday morning, and played out in the backyard for a while.
it was nice and cool, i had coffee, we played basketball, and boyd played on his swingset.
i loved this quiet time with just me and him.


 kevin woke up and packed up a bunch of food, and we headed over to his mom and aunt's house.
we spent the rest of the weekend there, swimming, getting a little too much sun,
eating lots of good bbq, visiting with family from iowa and tyler, tx, 
some close family friends came too, 
and we had a really nice couple of days. 
i especially loved this time with family, that we don't see very often.
we also were celebrating kevin's aunt's last weekend in texas.
she's been here for about a year, and is moving on to iowa. 
we will miss you aunt terry. 

kevin smoked 2 briskets, a bunch of ribs and sausage.
we are so spoiled by his bbq. it is always amazing.


i tried to pick just a few pictures to share, 
but you know how that goes.







homemade ice cream.


on monday we went back to visit and decided that kevin's aunt and uncle, in town from iowa, needed to try the best chicken fried steak in texas, so we drove out west to strawn and ate at mary's cafe again.
we stopped at the pecan store first, and loaded up on goodies.
even though we were stuffed full of bbq, we still had some room for chicken fried steak, and it was so good.

hope your weekend was also a celebration of family and friends, great food and freedom.

love,
nicolle

10 comments:

Kerri said...

Looks like a great weekend with family and friends and lots of good food! I bet Boyd had a blast in the pool with those water guns!
You always capture such great memories with all your pictures!

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

Great weekend! Kevin is quite the cook. :)

Lost of fun memories for sure!

Unknown said...

How fun...and YUM! Glad you had a great weekend.

Angela said...

that picture of boyd being thrown into the pool by kevin almost made me cry. it reminded me of when i was literally boyd's age and kevin would throw me into our pool just like that. it's crazy how time goes. i'll have to find a picture of it and text it to you.

Ross said...

Sounds like you had a great time and the BBQ sounds sooooo good! That's a weakness of mine good BBQ is my favourite! Thanks for the info on Kauai we'll have to do that. The people who's place we're renting own a sailboat that they often offer to take people out on so I might just have to mention that.

{cindy} said...

kevin and dave REALLY need to get together to compare smokin notes!!:)
all that food looks so yummy!
and that drink was callin my name too!:)
glad you had this time with your family and friends.
and a bonus trip to Mary's!!:)
have a happy day nicolle

4 Lettre Words said...

I'm a bit behind. :)

Looks like the perfect way to celebrate...and I love all of the pics. So glad y'all had a wonderful holiday! XO!

Genn said...

I just love love love to see your great pictures and read your documentation of life. It's so real and always makes me smile and warms my heart. I love you for that. :)

That BBQ looked so good I could almost smell it!
I'm glad it was such a nice visit with family. I bet Boyd loved it too.

Genn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

How did I miss so much?!?!?
I HATE blogger for the fact that I can not (and believe me, I have tried every way) to delete all of the blogs that I thought I wanted to follow at one point but now just fill my newsfeed and apparently screw me from seeing the handful of real blogs I love.

Can you tell I am aggravated?

Now... for the record, I can smell that smoker through this computer screen and it makes me want crisp onions, pickles and sliced brisket.

And I want to be 5 again so someone can throw me that high into the pool!