Tuesday, August 27, 2013

kindergarten

boyd's first day of kindergarten was yesterday. it was a success.
i've dreamed of this day, and dreaded this day,
but God made it good.



such a bittersweet walk.


waiting to go inside his classroom.


at his desk.



after we walked boyd down to school and came back home, kevin was off to work, and i picked up some coffee. i came back home and stood in a really quiet house and went to boyd's room and the only tears i shed were those of relief. not that i had any doubts, but, we made it to kindergarten. this little pumpkin pie has worn me out, and has been my best buddy for the last 5 1/2 years, and it's all so weird that i'm handing him over to someone else for 35 hours a week now. this is just a small stepping stone in our lives, but one that we've worked towards, and it feels good, even if it tugs at my heart a tiny little bit.

i picked up the cutest cookies for after school. 


i met kevin for a lunch date at our favorite burger place, rodeo goat.
the beer battered onion rings were the best ever.
my burger was asian inspired and had a spicy peanut sauce on it. love.
it was nice to have a date with kevin in the middle of the day.
i felt kind of like a grown up.


 
boyd cried a little when i picked him up, and he told me that he missed me while he was at school all day, and he told me it was kind of too long to be at school, he told me about the restrooms, and about lunch, and that he didn't like sitting on the rug that long because it was uncomfortable.
oh he made me laugh.
he was starving when we got home, a little moody, and really tired.
in spite of it all, i think he had a good day.




day 2 of kindergarten, this morning.
i had to wake boyd up, which is a rare thing.
i think he's not real sure of what all is going on yet. he asked me this morning if we could go to the trampoline park. i know we've sucked the life out of the last 5 1/2 years, but this is the part where it's hard for me to adjust to everything as much as it is for him. i want to say, sure, let's go jump, let's do our own thing like we've always done, where we make the rules and have our freedom to do as we please.
obviously my thoughts and emotions are all over the place.
i walked boyd to school and sat with him in the cafeteria until his teacher came.
and then i worried about him getting lost in the hallway or crying or losing his water bottle.
i know he'll be fine, but that's just what mamas do.
i know he is going to love school.


in the blink of an eye.
it's so true.

love,
nicolle

8 comments:

Nichole said...

I'm so glad to hear Boyd's first day was a good one. :o)

Genn said...

Ah, and with those last words "in the blink of an eye" you brought tears to mine!!!

It's true though. Goes SO fast.

He looks so handsome and so grown up in these pictures.
Love his cute little hair do.
Does he go to Kinder the same hours as the 1-6 graders? I know some schools kinder is all day. Ours is just until 11:30 and sometimes I wish it was all day. Since Claire is in the TK program and then next year does Kinder, I will have two years of going to drop off at 7:45am, picking up C at 11:30, and then Hannah at 2pm. It's a lot of back and forth, but I know, time flies. ;)

Kerri said...

He's so darn cute! Love his haircut.! I'm glad his first day was a success. He will question things for a couple of weeks I'm sure...and then he will understand what's going on! I'm glad you were able to meet Kevin for lunch and I Know how you feel...I felt a little more grown up too being out and about alone. I work with kindergarten and first grade and it is a constant reminder to me that I once had a little guy too...and now he is not so little. It goes SO fast.
Enjoy your day!

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

I LOVE that you can walk to school, that is great! One of my bigger worries is that school IS so long. Whew! I'm sure he is the class favorite by now. :) love those cookies, where did you find them?

Sarah said...

I love everything about this post, except the Cowboys shirt. ;-) School doesn't start back up for us until next week so reading this makes me feel the feelings that I know are coming. Kindergarten is tough, but honestly it's hard every year. Like you said, sending them off to someone else, worrying about little things that you can't do anything about missing them, yet feeling liberated. Boyd looks like such a little man and will do absolutely wonderful in school! How could he not, he's got a great mama!

4 Lettre Words said...

First things first...Rodeo Goat might be my favorite restaurant name ever. Ever!

Love, love, love that pic of Daddy and Babe heading off into the future. :)

Holly said...

why do I want to cry? I know he's melting hearts over there-- but you're so right, it all happens so fast.

{cindy} said...

oh boyd you are right...it is a LONG day!!!:(
standing in a quiet house...you got me with that one. I haven't come home after dropping Aubrey off yet, I only have 2 1/2 hours and it's across town, so I have just stayed out, but I imagine the first time I am alone here, (which NEVER happens) it will seem eerily quiet!;/
things will get easier, and the tears will stop. I taught k for 13 years before having riley and it is such an adjustment for those little guys. but they get through it and so do we!:)
have a happy day nicolle