Friday, July 20, 2012

cupcake friday {and thai red curry chicken}

In an effort to try to eat even better,
I haven't had sweets in 10 days.
I'm trying very hard to go back to just a cupcake on Fridays.
Boyd and I set out to find cupcakes this morning.
We went to the Fort Worth Food Park,
where Red Jett Sweets food truck is set up on the weekends.
Boyd had chocolate {just the frosting of course},
and I had lemon blueberry.
{I ate all of mine}.
delicious.


I thought about swimming today,
but it's so dang hot.
We were able to visit my friend Whitney and her 3 kids,
for a while.
That's always fun to do, because we love hanging out with them.
It just always makes our day better.

..............

I posted this once before, but I tweaked the recipe,
so I just wanted to post the updated version.
We had it last night, and my mouth is still watering for more.
Thai red curry chicken.



7 or 8 chicken tenders
3 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
3 T red curry paste
{it's so much cheaper to buy the jar of this, than the packet}
1 can of shredded bamboo shoots, drained
 about 1/4 of a yellow onion, sliced into slivers
pineapple tidbits, about 1/2 cup
a few shakes of dried basil

Trim and dice and cook your chicken in a little olive oil, and set aside.

Mix your coconut milk and red curry paste in a stovetop pot,
and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add other ingredients.
Simmer, then turn on low.

We serve ours with quinoa,
some cashews,
and Sriracha sauce.

This easily makes 2 meals for us.

heaven.

..............

Last night I was praying with Boyd before bed and I said,
Thank you Jesus for Boyd, mommy and daddy,
our home and for groceries.
Boyd looked at me funny and said,
Jesus didn't give us those groceries,
we got them at the grocery store.

..............

On a more serious note,
I had a hard time going out today and being happy,
while that awful tragedy is taking place in Colorado.
I know bad things happen all the time,
but this just hit me deep down, and breaks my heart.
This world has gone crazy.
It's hard to reconcile all of the beauty in the world,
with a nightmare like this.
In a way I want to stay home and protect my family,
but things like this also make me say,
get out and LIVE,
each day,
to the fullest.
So that is what we are trying to do.

enjoy your weekend.

love,
nicolle

{Here is the video I mentioned to some of you.
Kevin was lucky last night.
Thank you Jesus}.


10 comments:

Kris said...

Oh Nicolle, I am very heavy hearted today too!!! Such a sad and senseless act of violence on innocent people. It just breaks my heart. My son and his girl were also at the midnight viewing of Batman last night, here in our town. I immediately thought of them, and all of the what if's.
On a lighter note, your meal looked and sounded wonderful. As did your cupcakes.
I must get myself back into gear here with better eating and more exercise!!!
XO Kris

Bonnie said...

Oh my gosh! That curry look delicious. I'll have to do that soon. Where do you get your curry paste? Love all the pics :)

Bonnie said...

Also, so sad about Colorado as well. Praying...

Nicolle said...

Bonnie, I will email you also. The small jar of curry paste was in the Asian aisle at Kroger...not sure if you have those up there? It was about a quarter of the cost vs. how many of the packets/envelopes of it I would have needed......

Nichole said...

I bet that cupcake was awesome...I love blueberry and lemon together.

I know exactly how you feel about being torn with wanting to stay home in a bubble but wanting going out to enjoy each day. So scary and so sad.

SZM said...

I agree about the Batman movie theatre shooting. It breaks my heart. It is especially frightening because I can just imagine my kids asking to go to a midnight movie....now I feel fear. I have this impulse to lock everyone down in our home and things like this just reinforce that fear...but you are right...we need to live! I am praying for the victims and the shooter's soul.

Holly said...

I have been very sappy the last day over the CO shooting... it is hard not to put yourself in their shoes, and try and grieve with them in some way...

And that video!! I was crying!

I bet your boys got some million extra loves last night!

Gabe said...

Thank God your husband was ok. Guardian angels!

Genn said...

Good job on the eating well Nicolle.
And you do have to treat yourself here and there. I think when you don't you really wind up eating bad because you just can't hold back anymore.

Your dinner looked and sounded deeelish!
Have you ever cooked your chicken in coconut oil instead of olive oil? I bet that would give it a neat flavor in that dish especially. I seem to always use coconut oil now when I am cooking just about anything and I love it. Then I will use it to moisturize my hands and elbows and anything else!

I am so heavy hearted about the incident in CO too. It is just so senseless and so very sad. Unthinkable that it can even happen.

I tried to view the video and the screen is just blank. Either way, I hope Kevin is/was ok!!!!!

4 Lettre Words said...

Wowza...that sounds (and looks!) so good. Now you got my mouth watering...