Friday, May 31, 2013

alone time, foodie style

my mom came to town this morning, to spend the day with boyd.
i debated on staying home and just enjoying the silence,
but i wanted to eat at a new restaurant.
it's in one of my favorite parts of fort worth.
i'm glad i went.
the food was good, the silence truly was golden, and i did what i love doing...
trying new food, stopping for my favorite coffee, taking pictures, being alone.

i went to the magnolia cheese company.





they are known for their fancy cheese platters, and i think that would be a fun lunch with girlfriends,
along with some wine,
but i went with a funky salad. 
they call this one the runaway caprese.
it was different, and it was really good.
 i think food is so beautiful.
and i think life is too short to not try something new. 
and i'm thankful for every bite that god gives me.
i dream of being a food photographer one day, or a food critic, or maybe just eating my way through fort worth. something along those lines. as long as it involves pretty and delicious food.


i devoured it. 


then i had coffee at my favorite place, avoca, which is just down the street.


i left the coffee shop, and walked around like a tourist for a few minutes.


i made a quick run into trader joe's.


and now my happy bowl is full of the ingredients for my favorite lunch lately.
one diced avocado + a few diced grape tomatoes + fresh lemon juice + black pepper.


i got home, my mom and boyd showed up about an hour later, and somehow i lucked out and she took boyd with her for the weekend. and i'm not going to lie, i almost cried happy tears. boyd was thrilled to go.
and she told me not to call to check on him, or she would be mad at me. so i will try.
i know i will be so glad to see him on sunday, but i know that kevin and i will be grateful for the rest.
i'm so thankful.


have a good weekend.

love,
nicolle

12 comments:

Kris said...

Wow, that place sounds fabulous! What a sweet Mama you have!! ENJOY every second of your me time!!!
XO Kris

Genn said...

Oh your alone time sounds so fantastic!!!!!!! That restaurant looks so fun!! Lets go there one day ok?!!! I love your pictures. And I could seriously see you as a fantastic food photographer for some great magazine one day!!! Wouldn't that just be a dream? You could do it!!!

And I love your lunch idea with the avos, lemons, and grape tomatoes!!! I'm getting those essentials ASAP.

:)

sealaura said...

I think you do have a future in food photography. I always want to jump through the screen when I see your food posts or I wish I was sitting there are the table next to you.

sounds like a great day and the start to a fab weekend. Hope you and Kevin get to explore more of Ft. Worth together.
xo
L

Unknown said...

You definitely need to get into food photography. You rock it! Enjoy your weekend alone. I'm a little jealous!

Kerri said...

You would be a fantastic food photographer for sure! And, you are right...life is too short not to try new food. Magnolia's looks like such a cool place. What was in your salad...I couldn't figure out what that was??
I hope you enjoy every minute of your alone time....your mom is so thoughtful and you so deserve it!
Happy weekend!

Nicolle said...

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that....it was burrata mozzarella, kiwi, grilled endive, candied ginger, cherries, lavash crackers, basil, lemon juice...

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

Great alone date! Peace, food and scenery...aww!

Enjoy your break, get some rest.

Megan said...

I have a day to myself on Monday {the last full day before the kids are out for summer} and you have just inspired me completely! You are my alone time mentor!

Hope you are enjoying your weekend...ahhhhh...

Gabe said...

Sounds like a great day! Love that last photo!

Nichole said...

You would be great at food photography!

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend!

Holly said...

I don't know how I missed this post but you honestly should be a photographer, food critique, and taste all of FTW.
I looked through these pictures 3 times.
Absolutely beautiful!

{cindy} said...

beautiful!
and yummy looking! I would have probably never have ordered something so funky...and then kicked myself all the way home!:) you are so good like that.
great photos in the restaurant...they reminded me of the ones you took when we were in dallas.:)
what a treasure this day was for you.
and megan's got it right...mentor you!
have a happy day nicolle