Wednesday, August 3, 2011

more quinoa

good morning.
i'm addicted to quinoa.
have i mentioned that lately?!
you have to try it.
it's so delicious,
and so good for you.
so good.
you can eat it with everything.
this morning i had it with 2 eggs,
half an avocado,
and some frank's red hot sauce.


it has a nutty flavor,
a bit of a crunch,
and is a good filler for anything,
or substitute for rice,
potatoes,
etc.
and it's so full of nutrition.
it's low on the glycemic index,
and has a very low glycemic load,
so it's healthy for diabetics too.

i had a couple of weeks of bad eating,
it made me feel so yucky,
mentally and physically.
this was just the push i needed,
to get back on track.
{thank you whit s.}!

if you go to sam's or costco,
they sell a large bag of it.
this is the most inexpensive way to buy it.
i just cooked a bunch of it last night,
in water,
and put it in the fridge.
it's easy to add to any meal.

ok.
enough about that.
we're off to swim,
before the heat starts to sizzle.
have a good day.

ps.
a couple of good reads about quinoa,
here and here.

10 comments:

Pam said...

good for you! We love quinoa too!! Try it with some sesame oil! :)

J. said...

My name is Nicolle and I am addicted to quinoa. HI NICOLLE!

lol

Jen said...

Never tried it....can you add it to oatmeal? I checked out the nutritional site you linked to...looks like it is awesome for you and I may be able to sneak it in my kids breakfast!

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

Are you eating it warm with your eggs? It is on my list after we were talking about it with cinnamon for breakfast. yum!

Unknown said...

I've wanted to try it but didn't know what to do with it. Hmm...Might have to try it out. DO you boil it like rice? Really. I have no idea.

Nicolle said...

You can definitely add it to oatmeal. Also, if you scramble your eggs, and add it cold from the fridge to the pan, it will warm up in the pan enough, or warm up a bit in the microwave first.

If you buy it in bulk from a bin, you need to rinse it first. Otherwise, if it's prepackaged, it's probably rinsed. The package should have directions. It's double the amount of liquid to the amount of quinoa. You can use broth, but I like it in water. Bring quinoa and liquid to a boil together, turn on low and cover for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit covered another 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. It's good hot or cold.

Dawn said...

I love the stuff too! Especially in tabouleh! =)

Kim said...

I eat it in a similar way. Got the idea from Kim @ Yep. Add cilantro, 2 eggs, a bit of goat cheese and some TJ's salsa verde. Love it for an easy lunch.

{cindy} said...

hey there!
just had quinoa for dinner two nights ago...love it!
hope you find some relief in the pool.
stay cool my friend and
have a happy day

Stephanie said...

I know this isn't the post where you posted the pictures of your cards, but they are beautiful! You could seriously sell them!